Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Tuesday, 5/27 Newsletter Updates

Final Branch Observation and Final Branch Assignment
Yesterday was the day of the last branch observation, but if you forgot, make that last observation today. Students also received their final assignment for the branch observations today. These are due on Thursday. At that time this 2-page assignment will be turned in with all 9 branch observations.

Library Cards
Next week on Monday we are taking a short field trip to the McMillan Library. Part of the trip is teaching students how to place books on hold using the Internet and then pick them up at the library. This lesson will be on Thursday.
  1. If your child has a library card, please send it on Thursday.
  2. If your child does not have their own, consider sending yours if you have one.
  3. If students don't have a card, is it okay for me to help them get one? As soon as I talk to the library, I'll let you know more details on this.
  4. I think we'll also include a side-stop at Dairy Queen for a small goodie. Just so you're aware.
Last Friday's Field Trip - Photos Available
Friday's field trip was a great success. Many students threw themselves right into comparing the past to what they saw before them in the present. If you would like to see all the original photographs compared to the pictures we took on Friday, I can send them to you as a Word document. Email me and I'll send it right back to you.

Old Books for Mrs. Wilhorn
The following is from Mrs. Wilhorn: "I'm collecting gently used books to distribute to students at Mead Elementary School for summer reading. It is so important that kids continue to read over the summer and many students do not have easy access to books to read. If you have any books that are collecting dust at your house I'd be glad to get them into the hands of kids. We are looking for books for ages 4-12. Please let me know by Friday, May 30 if you have books and we can find a way to get them from you."

You can contact her via email at our home address or her school address. At school her address is Jennifer [dot] Wilhorn [at] wrps [dot] org. (Hope that makes sense. I'm just trying to keep the computers out there from adding her address to their spam email lists.)

School Picnic - THE Kickball Game
Apparently there is a tradition with this class that the students take on the parents in a kickball game at the school picnic. I'm told it's "GAME ON" for this year. I'm also told that a number of parents are worried that this may be the last year where the grown-ups have an advantage. The kids are getting older/stronger/faster/smarter and the parents are getting older...well, we'll just let that sentence dangle there. Anyway, Parents, if you haven't started your training regiment yet, get after it! There's a trophy on the line!

This Week's Memory and Spelling
Memory - At Home: Q4W7 Slips. At School: A Mighty Fortress Is Our God verse 1 and The Doxology.
Spelling - UNIT 33 practice, members, dinner, suppose, except, problem, shallow, stubborn, silver, cotton, object, shelter Extra Words: distance, pattern, captive, publish, tractor, narrow Bonus Words: brilliant, suddenly