Skate City on Thursday
Questions have come up about scooters at Skate City. Yes, Skate City allows children to bring in scooters instead of skates. Yes, students may bring in their scooters, store them in their lockers (most fold up, correct?) during the day, and use them at Skate City if they prefer scooters over skates or are uncomfortable with skates. Scooters shouldn't be used in or around the school, however, but I'm sure I don't need to remind everyone of that...
Book Orders
We missed the January book order due to the book fair, so I am sending January and February home today. These will be due this Friday, Febrary 13. As always, here are some I can recommend or know something about.
January
Lost and Found by Andrew Clements
Boys vs. Girls Pack by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor
School Days Pack by Andrew Clements
No Talking by Andrew Clements
Newbery Authors Collection - I've read 6 of the 8 and they're all pretty good.
The Watsons Go to Birmingham - 1963 by Christopher Paul Curtis
Don't Bump the Glump by Shel Silverstein
Island Pack by Gordon Korman
Flush by Carl Hiaasen - a future read aloud book
February
Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Last Straw by Jeff Kinney
Julia Gillian and the Art of Knowing by Alison McGhee
Bud, Not Buddy by Christopher Paul Curtis
Lincoln: A Photobiography by Russell Freedman
Runny Babbit: A Billy Sook by Shel Silverstein
Kidnapped Pack by Gordon Korman - This is the sequel to the On the Run series.
As always, there are plenty of other ones that look good. I mentioned Skeleton Creek in class, but I haven't read it yet. It's an interesting concept - part book, part movie. As you read the book, a character sends video updates to the author. These videos are available online. BUT, the "book trailer" that I watched was very creepy, so I don't know if I can recommend it until I read it.