Our Newest Read Aloud - On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness
We started out latest read aloud on Monday, and, WOW!, has it grabbed the attention of these fourth graders. It is titled On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness, and it is by Andrew Peterson. It is "high fantasy," very similar to the Chronicles of Narnia or The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings. A whole new world has been created with its own countries, geography, history...everything. The story follows the Igiby family - Janner, Tink and Leeli and their mother Nia and grandfather Podo - as they deal with the evil rule of Gnag the Nameless. I'm sorry, but I left off with poor Janner, Tink and Leeli in jail for simply protecting one another. The students weren't happy.
The author, Andrew Peterson is a Christian musician, and I've long been a fan of his music. When I heard he was writing a book I was surprised, but excited, hoping I would like it as much as his music. I was not disappointed. For more information on the book, click here. For more information about Andrew Peterson, click right here.
The Upcoming Week
Memory - At Home: Quarter 1 Week 3 Slips At School: 1. Asking a Blessing, first part 2. Asking a Blessing, second part. These are two separate assignments, but may be said on the same day.
Religion - Apology and Forgiveness, the fall into sin, the family of Adam, the family of God.
Reading - My Name is Maria Isabel, characters' feelings and actions, predicting, different genres.
English - Imperative and exclamatory sentences, subjects and predicates, personal narratives.
Math - Odd and even numbers, number lines, addition stories with missing addends, missing numbers in subtraction.
Science - Physical and chemical changes, test late in the week.
Social Studies - Continue looking at the geography of the United States.
Spelling - Lesson 3 - mine, tie, wild, type, smile, drive, size, blind, visit, thick, die, prize Extra words: fifty, picnic, decide, tiny