Friday, September 26, 2008

Friday Newsletter Updates

Picture Day is Coming
School picture day is Tuesday, October 7. Order forms are coming home today. These need to be here on picture day. If you'd like to send them in early, I can hold on to them until then, but they don't need to be returned until the day of pictures.

Memory Work
Kids are doing a pretty good job on their memory work. I've heard, "I forgot," a couple times concerning the memory slips, but there's no epidemic of late work. I would caution students, however, not to wait until the last minute. This week nobody said memory on Monday, and by Thursday the class as a whole was only halfway finished. That made for a hectic morning today listening to memory work. Don't put memory off until the end of the week.

Next Week - Four Day Week
Next week is a short week. Friday is a professional day for teachers. No school for students. (There's another reason not to put memory off until Friday...students won't be here.)

Midterm Reports
Yes, already! Next week on Tuesday, midterm grade reports will come home. Please remember these are not final grades, nor are they even recorded. They are just an update as to where students are at the midpoint of the quarter. Take the time to notice where improvement is needed as well as where achievement has been high.

The Upcoming Week

Memory - At Home: Q1W5 At School: Historical books of the Old Testament (Genesis-Esther) and Poetic/Prophetic books of the OT (Job-Malachi). These are two separate assignments and may be said at separate times.

Religion - Abraham, Lot, Isaac.

Reading - One the Banks of Plum Creek, cause and effect, point of view, keep reading and keep writing.

English - Complete and simple subjects

Math - Adding columns of numbers, reading scales, reading time from a clock, rounding.

Science - Energy

Social Studies - Climate, current events.

Spelling - UNIT 5: hoop, wounded, shoot, booth, broom, boost, mood, fooling, afternoon, spoon, smooth, tooth Extra words: raccoon, bloomed, useful, route Bonus Words: souvenir, routine

One Final (Un)Important Note
And just a final note from your sports-nut teacher. If you watch the Brewers, please cheer extra hard. They really need to make the playoffs. Really. This draught is getting hard to handle. They haven't been to the postseason since 1982. My daughter is now older than I was then. Haven't Wisconsin baseball fans suffered enough? I think I was in fourth grade then, and now my daughter is in fourth grade. Once a generation? Ugh. Go Brewers.