Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Happy Wednesday Before Thanksgiving

The 39 Clues - Our Read Aloud Book and Future Activities
Today we finished The Maze of Bones by Rick Riordan, the first book in The 39 Clues series. It has been a wild ride. What a story! Our main characters went from Boston to Philadelphia to Paris, places where Ben Franklin lived, and now they are on their way to Vienna, Austria to learn something about Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. Book two in the series, One False Note by Gordon Korman, is scheduled to be released next week on Tuesday.

Just in case . . . I called Book World in town and said there might be some interested children coming their way looking for the second book. I've already reserved mine, so hopefully it will be there on Tuesday.

Next week I'm planning a large activity for reading and English class around the books. We will be doing research about famous historical people, more reading and writing, code breaking, and dot connecting, so to speak. Instead of letting the excitement over the books just fade away, I thought I'd try to harness it and teach them something along the way.

The 39 Clues website has information about the books and additional clues for readers to solve. There are also collectable cards that can be used on the website. Basically, there's a TON of information, all scattered around. It is the kids' job to decipher it, organize it, and solve the mystery. And we're going to try.

In Other News...
Parade This Friday - Friday night is the Parade in Wisconsin Rapids. Mr. Betts is looking for people willing to walk the route with some Immanuel handouts. Hey! We can be in a parade! Time to practice that parade wave. I'm planning on being there, so maybe we'll see you.

Next week - At-Home memory assignments will continue with Q2W4, but the at school memory will focus on the Christmas program. Students are bringing home the lyrics today.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving and first Sunday in Lent as we ready our hearts for the coming of a Savior this Christmas!