Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Frindle

This week we started reading Frindle by Andrew Clements for reading class. As I am rereading it I am reminded how much I like this book. Today's assignment is to read chapters 5 and 6, and most kids will have it done by the end of the day. I'm going to have them bring their books home anyway for you to see.

People ask me, "What are some simple ways to help my child read?" Here's a simple way. Show an interest in what your children are reading. Ask questions about it. Read it. Tell them your favorite parts. This is a great book for that. It's short, creative, and there's some stuff that adults get a lot quicker than the kids. Parents can offer some insight that the kids might not pick up on their own. (And I think the 30 minutes it will take you will be time well spent.)

Have a great long weekend.